Thursday, March 19, 2020

Hanging out

I didn't sleep the best last night so I took a nap while Denny went to Walmart to get coffee with Gail. At 12:30 Mert came over and we sat outside under the car portand did the last lesson of the Bible study.  Such good words from the Bible to guide us in this trying time.
Last weekend the Mo. Johnsons visiting Minn. Johnsons 
looking the city over for a place to hang their hats and go to school.  
Lord, please guide them to a home/job/school/church where You can be glorified.
                               

I think we need a pep talk. Many things that were said to me during my cancer journey have been resurfacing the last few days as very practical advice related to our current situation.
My nurse navigator would say (while going door to door at chemo giving pep talks to patients): "This is just one chapter in your life. You STILL have hopes, dreams, and a future."
My oncologist would say: "This is a marathon not a sprint."
People were SO incredibly kind, helpful, generous, and encouraging.
My life changed very quickly after diagnosis (within a week); my outings apart from work and treatment during that year were limited, particularly during the first five months. I developed a "new norm" and quite honestly, once I settled into that new norm, there were many things that I liked about it. I spent a lot more time at home...playing with my kids, watching movies, teaching them how to bake, etc. Right now amidst this pandemic, our lives and daily routines have changed drastically in just one week. We are facing a lot of uncertainty. We are developing new norms. 
So here is my advice for where we are right now with this pandemic: "This is just one chapter, but it's a marathon not a sprint. We still have hopes, dreams, and a future. Although that future is uncertain, it always has been; we are just more aware of that now. Living in fear and worry is a waste of precious time. Embrace the new norm. And most importantly, be kind, helpful, generous, and encouraging."

No comments:

Post a Comment