Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Looking forward to Brownsville BUT we have the opportunity to do corn first!!!

Full day. Up and had devotions.  When Denny left for his last day of work this week, I went out to pick 210 lisianthus, 210 greenery stem.  That's 3 of each for the 70 CSA shares.  It took me alot longer that I had planned. About 12 Missy had lunch at CSA barn, so I got to get rid of some extra food in the refrig.  Stew, 2 corn dogs, 2 ding dongs, Small corn on the cob,  :)  She said Kathi J. Offered sweet corn to anyone who would pick it.   Was there sometime we could?  She was making CSA deliveries to Lytton and Storm Lake at 3.   Then Anabel and I went to help put away chairs at the widow's luncheon.  Denny called me there and said the mower is ready to be picked up.  Now to plan B. I switched the Prius for the truck.  I dropped Anabel off at her home, Phillip put the trailer on the truck. Off to Denison.  On the way home, I thought ... May as well see about sweet corn. So off to Johnsons with trailer behind.  Yes there was corn behind the house that Boyle's are building.  I picked for about 30 minutes and Reese gave me a ride back to the pickup.  Then home.  We boiled the corn on the grill outside and then cooled it in water from the front spigot.  Boiling water was put in a pail as I dumped ears in cooler and refilled with corn.  The turn around time was about 2:30 from dumping to refilling and re-adding the water that was boiling.  It worked so well.  Donna came out to get our CSA share.  Missy and family helped with corn.  Evan liked to run the electric knife.  Anabel helped fill bags, Missy put whole ears on corn in bags for the freezer.  Wow I did not knowo that would be on my schedule when I got up this am.  Good to freeze corn.  I told Missy that mom always froze enough sweet corn for a meal when the first snow fell, and for my birthday in February.  Corn is my favorite.  My nickname was Corny growing up.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment