Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Doctor Appointment

Up for devotions before heading to OG Train.  I am inviting the group for a noon picnic next Tuesday after volunteering in IG in am.  Denny picked me up around 9:15 and we headed to a SC Dr. appointment with Dr. Bissel to check on Denny's hurting knee and hip.  The knee looks pretty good, but Yes, there is arthritis in hip.  Cortisone shot or surgery.  We are meeting with Dr. Meyer to talk about it.  (Actually, I just think Denny likes the attention and the meals that we get from the church.)  We went back to IG to get blood work done to make sure it is not an infection causing the pain.h  Shopped at Bomgaars and Foodpride, then off to Ft Dodge to look at a truck.  Nice truck, more that what we need and more  money that we were hoping.  BUT I did get 2 wonderful meals out of todays ventures.  In FD we ate at the Mineral City mill and grill.  Really good food. 

Denny wrote this update for kids on Dr. appointment. 
So today I had an appointment with my knee surgeon in Sioux City/CNOS.  I made the appointment because I have been having trouble with my second knee replacement on my left knee.  It has been painful, stiff, and feeling like it might give out/fail like the first knee replacement did.  Sometimes it is a little tricky walking.  I have not been able to sleep through the night due to the ache and pain.  Dr. Bissell manually and physically evaluated the knee replacement and believes it is okay.  I also had x-rays taken of the knee today which he thought looked normal also.  However, the original x-rays were at Horn Memorial in Ida Grove to which he wanted to compare.  During the time we were in Sioux City they had not arrived after his request.  We have a follow up in 2 weeks at his clinic in Ida Grove.  The other thought Dr. Bissell had and another of my fears was that there is some infection in the replacement knee area.  I do not recall having any symptoms regarding the infection but always know this is a possibility i.e. I always take a prescribed antibiotic prior to dental appointment and cleaning to avoid any bacteria settling into the prosthetic area.  Therefore, had blood draws today to determine if there actually is some infection.  

The other part of the story is that I have also been having pain in my left hip which also has been making it difficult to get around and sleep.  So, I describe these factors to Dr. Bissell and he promptly sent me back to x-ray for the hip views.  Here is the problem he said your hip’s arthritis is close to bone on bone/wore out.  Here are your options, 1. Do nothing, 2. Cortisone shot (temporary relief and no replacement for 3 months after the shot). 3. Have a hip replacement.   I opted for immediate relief with the hip replacement as I did with the back surgery.  Dr. Bissell does not do hip replacements but my back surgeon, Dr. Meyer does.  I am trying to get into see Dr. Meyer for a consultation as he has a clinic in Ida Grove also and is also a Doctor/Owner of CNOS.  There is also a possibility the two problems, knee and hip, might some how be related because there is a nerve that goes from the hip to the knee.   RAGBRAI may have been(probably) “the straw that broke the camel’s back” so to speak as far as the hip goes.  

Cute picture of a fisherman:

No comments:

Post a Comment